Sunday, February 5, 2023

Self Worth

If you have a bank account with money in it but you're unaware of your positive balance you can't utilize the funds. Self worth similarly can't be used if we don't hold ourselves in high esteem.

Take a few minutes to write a short description of yourself. How did you describe yourself? What value did you place oñ aspects of yourself? Is your description generally positive, balanced or negative?

Self worth or the sense of one's own value or worth as a person, evolves into a sense of self-esteem or self-respect. Low self-esteem can have an affect on various aspects of a person. A person with low self esteem probably says a lot negative thing about themselves.

If you're experiencing clinical depression, low self-esteem can be a by-product of your depressed mood. Having a negative view of oneself is a symptom of depression. So is feeling very guilty and worthless almost all the time.

So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows. Matthew 10:31 NIV The Bible indicates that it is proper, even necessary, to love yourself. Such love includes caring for yourself, respecting yourself, and having a sense of self-worth. I started writing this post because I've been reading up on self esteem I know it's a tired subject so I've tried to present it in a new light.

For fear of sounding glib, I will share with you that I struggle with clinical depression. It is sometimes difficult for me, as a member of the LGBT community, to call myself a Christian. In my opinion it is easier to come out as pansexual, demisexual or any kind of sexual than to call yourself a gay Christian. This has been my experience and bias.

Although the Bible does not include a specific command to love yourself, the command to “love your neighbor as yourself” indicates that a reasonable degree of self-love and self-respect is normal and beneficial. Oh God help me to hold a high opinion of myself. This above all: to thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any man. William Shakespeare

2 comments:

  1. Ephesians 5:29 For no one has ever hated his own body, but he nourishes and tenderly cares for it, as the Messiah does the church.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://blog.thetransitionhouse.org/self-love-for-mental-health

    ReplyDelete