Thursday, December 15, 2022

WE READ TO KNOW WE'RE NOT ALONE


I've never been tested, but feel, I think differently than others. Upon reading a notice about an adult book club for people on the autism spectrum, I decided to attend. 

My only fear... there would be people there far less functional, than myself. Rendering me unable to relate to, and or communicate with the majority in a meaningful way.

To my delight and surprise, not only did I experience an intellectual synergy, but found group members to be smarter than myself in some facet or other. Feeling connected is important, no matter what our need. It's comforting to know there is a tribe of like-minded people whether it's a business alliance, recreational enterprise or both and that’s a good thing.

I've read books I wouldn't have given a second look, had they not been nominated by the group. Some of these are now among my favorites. Such as Terry Pratchett's novel Hogfather. I watch both Star Wars and Trek films but never, read, sci-fi. Hogfather, is a cross between The Nightmare Before Christmas and Harry Potter. What a superb combination, Father Christmas meets Skeletor.


No comments:

Post a Comment